Transnet – Re-Advertised Technical Supervisor – Mechanical wanted: APPLY HERE
This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement: Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the
designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section
of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
The closing date is on 02.08.2019. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application
before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your
application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at
Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email Transnet@tip-offs.com
Operating Division : Transnet NPA
Position Title : Technical Supervisor
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Infrastructure
Location : Durban
Reporting To : Technical Manager
Grade Level : G
Reference Number : 10157372
The supervision and inspection of mechanical infrastructure plant, tools and equipment in accordance with safety legislation,
company policies and instructions in order to provide an effective maintenance services and optimise the availability and
reliability of such mechanical infrastructure.
1. Exercise general supervision and inspection of maintenance and repairs to all categories of mechanical plant, tools and
equipment; including sewerage systems, lifting equipment, hydraulic equipment, compressors, pumping equipment, etc.
2. Ensure all standby generating plants (stationary & mobile) are test run regularly and serviced and are available for
emergency standby duty.
3. Compile job cards
4. Conduct meetings with staff regarding work schedules
5. Requisitioning for stores stock item material and other purchase spares in accordance with SAP and procurement
6. Compile specifications for petty contracts and arrange site meetings for repairs to mechanical infrastructure equipment.
7. Plan maintenance programmes and maintenance activities for mechanical infrastructure.
8. Control the use of official vehicles and vehicle control documentation.
9. Ensure that all lifting and other equipment used is examined and tested according to the preventative maintenance
instructions, Code of Practice 29 and OHSACT.
10. Provide mentorship and technical guidance to subordinates/junior staff; both verbally and by demonstration on
mechanical plant and equipment maintenance and repair.
11. Control and scrutinise log sheets for lifting tackle and other machinery and equipment, etc. covered by safety certificates
(RMD log sheets) to ensure inspections are up to date and endorse such log sheets and/or arrange for any defects to be
12. Co-ordinate the economical use of materials machines, tools and equipment with fellow supervisors and other
13. Guide and educate staff to work safely by means of lectures, instructions and update NOSA (SHE) programmes.
14. Asses work to be undertaken to determine remedial action to be implemented, material, spare parts, time and labour that
15. Investigate accidents and IOD cases and submit reports and documentation for further processing.
16. Estimate quantities of material and labour for planned projects.
17. Implement disciplinary measures as required.
18. implement modifications to extend the life span of mechanical plant and equipment as approved by engineering
Qualifications & Experience:
1. Grade 12
2. Technical N3 Qualification
3. Qualified Artisan Millwright
4. Code 08 Drivers License
5. C Green certification
6. COP 29 certificate
7. Registered as a LMI (ECSA)
Min. 5-7 years experience as a Millwright Artisan
Knowledge of OHSACT
Knowledge of Port operations
Knowledge of Harbour regulations
Knowledge of Hydraulic systems
Interpretation of mechanical diagrams
Knowledge of pumps, valves and actuators
Knowledge of diesel engines
Financial principles and budget control
Maintenance management principles
Fundamentals of electricity