Assistant Information Specialist Wanted – Apply Now.
Direct Reporting Line:
Varsity College is an educational brand of The Independent Institute of Education (The IIE). The IIE enjoys the reputation of being at the forefront of private higher education in South Africa, and is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) to provide higher education qualifications accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE).
The IIE’s Varsity College Cape Town Campus campus has a vacancy for an Assistant Information Specialist.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Continuously trains students on how to use Information Centre databases to enable them to research and access information required e.g. Ebscohost, Juta Law, Emerald, Sabinet etc.
- Facilitates bi-annual and walk-in presentations as joint presenters on Student Information Literacy Sessions and Lecturer information briefings.
Information Specialist Support
- Drives The Independent Institute of Education (The IIE) Information Centre policies and procedures and ensures adherence to policies.
- Supports the Information Specialist in training the Information Centre Student Assistants.
Information Centre Administration
- Assists students and lecturers with research by searching for relevant articles and research material.
- Provides guidance to students on academic writing.
- Requests lecturing material from Publishers and sources additional material for Academic staff.
- Monitors the performance of all functions of Information Centre automated Information Centre systems.
- Updates new books on the Sirsi Dynix to ensure accurate record keeping.
- Compiles journal content pages relevant to specific schools including newspaper articles.
- Co-ordinates day-to-day book loans of students and lecturers (issuing, renewing and returning) and follows up on overdue loans by sending emails and calling Information Centre users.
- Facilitates inter-Information Centre loans to enable availability of resources to support students and lecturers.
Provision of Information Services
- Facilitates academic support and training sessions on our digital learning platform.
- Supports academic staff with research and sourcing academic material.
- Conducts class visits and live interactive training sessions for students and lecturers.
- Supports students on how to access, submit and reset passwords on Turnitin and Safe Assign.
Information Centre Resources Marketing
- Designs interactive posters to market Information Centre resources on campus.
- Arranges monthly displays according to the calendar set out by the Information Centre Manager.
- Promotes Information Centre resources on various platforms using creative digital tools.
- Markets teaching and learning resources to lecturers.
- Presents information about teaching and learning resources and information services during information sessions.
Assistant Information Specialist:
- Monday to Thursday 10h00- 19h00
- Friday 08h00 – 12h00
- Saturday 08h00 – 13h00
- Interpersonal and communications skills
- Problem solving skills
- Best suited to a friendly, organised person who works accurately and is able to handle pressure
- Attention to detail
- Time management skills
- Digital literacy skills
- Working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Understanding of library related technology (e.g. Law online databases, Sirsi Dynix, Emerald, Ebscohost, Sabinet. etc)
- Commitment to excellent customer service
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
- Minimum of Advanced Diploma/ Bachelor’s Degree in Library and Information Science. Must have professional registration with LIASA.
Minimum Experience Required:
- Minimum of 1 year of experience as an assistant librarian in a small to medium sized facility within an education environment and experience in academic compliance, functions / activities experience within a Higher Education environment.
- Reliable transportation required.