Building Inspector needed immediately: APPLY HERE
This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement: Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the
designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section
of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
The closing date is on 12.07.2019. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application
before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your
application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at
Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email [email protected]
Operating Division : Transnet NPA
Position Title : Building Inspector
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Property Mngt
Location : Durban
Reporting To : Facilities Manager
Grade Level : G
Reference Number : 10157336
Position Purpose :
To conduct inspections of buildings and/or structures within the Port of Durban to ensure compliance with national building
standards and South African building regulations, to monitor maintenance on structures and to ensure that structures comply with approved plans.
Position outputs :
1. Inspect buildings and foundations during and after construction for structural quality, general safety and conformance to
specifications and codes.
2. Maintain daily logs and supplement inspection records with photographs.
3. Review and interpret plans, site layouts, specifications, and construction: methods to ensure compliance to legal
requirements and safety regulations.
4. Inspect and monitor construction sites to ensure adherence to safety standards, building codes, and specifications.
5. Measure dimensions and verify level, alignment, and elevation of structures and fixtures to ensure compliance to building
plans and codes.
6. Entering, transcribing, recording, storing, or maintaining information in written or electronic form.
7. Communicating with people outside the organization, representing the organization to customers, the public, government,
and other external sources. This information can be exchanged in person, in writing, or by telephone or E -mail.
8. Analysing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems. Performing day-to-day
administrative tasks such as maintaining information files and processing paperwork.
9. Estimating sizes, distances, and quantities; or determining time, costs, resources or materials needed to perform a work
10. Conduct handover inspections for leased properties at inception of leases and at termination of leases.
11. Review maintenance plans for leased out premises and monitor compliance to maintenance plans.
12. Compile maintenance plans for TNPA-owned buildings and ensure execution of the maintenance plans.
13. Refer any perceived structural defects to a suitably qualified Structural engineer for further attention.
14. Refer any contraventions of legal requirements and safety regulations to Legal’ and Compliance for the issue of notices of
15. Deliver contravention notices to defaulters.
16. Inspect all buildings in the Port at least twice per year.
Qualifications & Experience :
1. Standard equivalent to a senior certificate
2. A three (3) year tertiary education, at an accredited educational institution, in one of the following building disciplines:
(a) Civil engineering;
(b) Structural engineering;
(d) Construction Management;
(e) Quantity Surveying
Minimum 5 years’ experience in the building industry
Valid Driver’s licence (Code 08)
Working knowledge of the National Building Regulations.
Working knowledge of SANS 10400 ·
Knowledge of construction methods
Knowledge of building standards
Use of precision tools (to measure plans and structures on site)
Ability to read and interpret building plans
Ability to compile work specifications