Packaging Engineer Required – Apply Now.
Coca-Cola Beverages South Africa (CCBSA) has an exciting opportunity in our Engineering department. We are looking for a talented individual with relevant skills and experience for a Packaging Engineer role, which is based in Port Elizabeth. The successful candidate will report directly to the Manufacturing Manager.
Key Purpose: The primary role of the Packaging Engineer is to ensure the engineering integrity of the packaging plant. This includes responsibility for asset care, cost and performance control, overall reliability and “up-time” of the packaging lines and the provision of effective engineering support to the shift based production teams, as well as the management of any outsourced maintenance services.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
1. Drive the deployment of the CCBSA Asset Management Strategy in the Plant • Provide technical leadership and support to plant Packaging Engineering teams • Support the disciplined execution of standard work practices at plant level • Ensure compliance to the Asset Care Philosophy and related Strategies 2. Asset Care • Partake in the development of the asset care plan for the packaging plant, contributing suggestions and providing expert advice • Implement the asset care plan for the Packaging plant • Ensure that asset care competencies are developed. Ensure training needs are addressed • Ensure that asset care goals are incorporated into the team and individual goals • Implementation of the Predictive Maintenance Strategy, including (Condition Monitoring) • Lead the OEM SPP (Supplier Partnering Programme) and monitor Service Agreements • Ensure Engineering Change Management Procedure adherence • Execute the technical gap plan for the plant • Ensure audit compliance to the asset care program • Exercise budgetary controls over the asset care requirements of the Packaging plant
• Evaluate Packaging CAPIN requests to ensure items are compatible to systems, RAM issues best price and solution • Develop the maintenance budget 3. Plant Reliability • Responsible for the overall reliability and uptime • Lead the Packaging Engineering team in the provision of asset care and engineering support to the shift based production teams • Support packaging performance improvement by conducting and leading performance optimisation initiatives • Ensure that predictive maintenance techniques are implemented correctly • Verify that the Packaging Engineering team are carrying out routine and planned maintenance, and validate the quality of work • Ensure compliance to maintenance planning and execution of maintenance outage • Review the maintenance day execution scorecards of all the lines, address abnormalities as appropriate
• Ensure that Maintenance packages are updated and effective and that all Engineering changes are executed • Verify that the maintenance systems are working properly and that data integrity and information accuracy is maintained • Review plant reliability to ensure equipment is operating optimally and to identify problems or opportunities timeously • Takes part in maintenance problem solving, and ensure that the correct problem-solving techniques are being applied 4. Plant Optimisation • Take part in and/or manage central office plant optimisation trials or projects, providing advice, assistance and guidance where required • Evaluate impact of new plant and equipment, and sign off all plant modifications and changes • Analyse plant performance data to identify opportunities for improvement
• Have a working understanding of plant operation and associated Work Instructions and/or procedures • Analyse plant failure modes and investigate causes for repeat failures to identify and correct root causes • Take part in evaluating continuous improvement opportunities • Ensure that continuous improvement is built into Packaging Engineering team goals, and forms part of regular goal review sessions 5. Team Leadership and Management • Lead the Packaging Engineering team in a manner that engenders ownership, empowerment and team interaction • Lead the development of Packaging Engineering team goals and ensure these are communicated and understood by the team • Entrench a high-performance culture by conducting regular Packaging Engineering team goal review sessions, one-on-one’s and performance reviews • Ensure training needs analysis are conducted and training plans developed for team members
• Ensure appropriate competencies are developed in the team and ensure multi-skilling occurs within the Packaging and broader engineering team • Manage Contracted-out maintenance services 6. Safety and Housekeeping • Ensure that the Packaging Engineering team apply proper safety and housekeeping procedures, and adhere to all legal requirements • Ensure implementation of the appropriate CCBA and legislative policies (such as OSH act) on safety and housekeeping • Ensure all statutory and mandatory checks are part of the asset care management system, are performed and all documentation completed and recorded • Ensure that health, safety and housekeeping receive appropriate focus • Where unsafe work practices have been identified, correct this
Skills, Experience & Education
• Minimum requirement: Diploma/BSc: Engineering (Mechanical or Electrical • Added advantage: A successful track record as a Packaging Unit Manager Experience • Minimum: 3 years maintenance experience • Ideal: 5 years of experience in maintenance of packaging equipment • Broad-based engineering and packaging knowledge as applicable in CCBA • Previous line management experience an added advantage • Deep understanding of Packaging Operations, processes and systems. • Deep understanding of Asset Management and OEM Partnering.
• Understanding of Project Management. • Understanding of CCBA Asset Management standards and guidelines, including the Manufacturing Way. • A reasonable understanding of Packaging Materials and Sundries. • A good understanding of Safety, Health and Environment which includes Sustainable Development. • A good understanding of CCBA business processes which include financial management, performance management, talent management and IR.
Internal Candidates must submit a fully approved application form (signed off by the Line Manager and HR) to the talent acquisition specialist before the closing date. This role is bonded for equity. Suitable equity candidates will be given preference in line with our Equity Plan.